MtG

Friday, 13 November 2015

Tutorial - DIY Movement trays for Kings of War.

With Kings of War games on the horizon with my group I've slowly been getting my various Fantasy Armies sorted and organised to see where they stand with Version 2. 

So this week I whipped up a few quick DIY movement trays  for my Kings of War Ratkin Army. The dimensions of the trays are equal to the base sizes given in the KoW rulebook. To help stretch my figures further and field a bigger army, I reduced the amount of figures per unit. 
This not only helps the wallet but also helps with moving the unit into base to base contact with an enemy without knocking figures over due to weapons protruding over the base.


So here's how I made the movement trays for my Individually based (20x20mm)  Ratkin Regiments and Hordes. 

You will Need;
(links and locations provided for Australian suppliers)
  • Hobby Knife
  • Paddle pop Stick
  • Tape Measure
  • Some MDF, Masonite or 3-4mm thick Plastic sheeting (for the base itself)
  • Vallejo Course Pumice 
  • Spray undercoat (I normally use a Black or Blue Dulux from Bunnings)
  • Paints and brushes
  • Matt Varnish (I've used Krylon which is available at Spotlight)


  1.  Cut the Tray to the exact size stated in the Kings of War Rulebook; Horde = 200x80mm; Regiment = 100x80mm
  2. Determine your individually based figures "footprint" on the tray by ranking them up and measuring the length and depth. Cut yourself a template to represent this. In my case I decided on 3 ranks of 9 individually based miniatures giving me a 60x180mm footprint/template.
  3. Centre your template onto your base (no glue as you'll be removing it after the next step)
  4. Using a paddle pop Stick to smear the pumice, covering the gap from the top of your template down to the edge of your movement tray creating somewhat of a "border". You can make it as neat or natural (read messy) as you like, I leave mine relatively natural with bumps and crevices as I like the look of it.

 5. After a few minutes (3-5) use your hobby knife to carefully run the blade around your template to       ensure when you remove it you don't bring up any chunks of your border.

6. Carefully lift your template directly upwards. I normally use my Hobby knife as a handle by stabbing the centre of the template and lifting it that way. If you ran a blade around your template as per step 5, lifting it out is a very easy process.
 7.Allow to Dry. 90 minutes is what Vallejo recommends on the jar but i left mine for a couple of           hours.


8. Spray or paint on your Undercoat and allow to dry.
9. Paint the edges your desired colour. In my case I started with a dark brown, then highlighted up to a light Bone colour. When I do basing I just use cheap tubes of acrylic paint from the $2 shop.

10. Give your base a coat of Matt Varnish to protect it during battle.

And here we are! Some cheap efficient movement trays to carry your army to victory!





Nothing groundbreaking here, just an alternative, fun and cheap way to DIY some custom movement trays. 

Cheers for looking, happy gaming.

3 comments: